Key Applications of Ozone in Poultry
- For the disinfecting of sheds as an alternative to formaldehyde, because ozone is more effective than formaldehyde in disinfecting and requires no dormant period in which the sheds have to remain evacuated. Almost immediately after disinfecting by ozone at high concentrations, the shed is ventilated and can be inhabited by the animals and staff safely. Unlike formaldehyde, Ozone is non-carcinogenic.
- Ozone oxidizes ammoniacal gases, methane and carbon dioxide, creating a healthier environment for the animals and staff.
- Ozonated water is more effective, faster and stronger than chlorinated water, killing all bacteria and viruses, including those that have become resistant to chlorine and conventional cleaning methods. There is no resistance build-up to ozone.
- In the refrigerated storage of poultry products to increase the shelf life of the meat and prevent spoilage.
- Ozone is used to disinfect incubation rooms and chambers, eliminate the use of chemicals that cause a toxic build-up on the eggshell surfaces and weaken the immune system of the birds, and keeping the air that is fed into the incubators free from bacteria and viruses.
- Use it in staff washrooms, disinfect staff clothing and shoes overnight, and keep bacteria levels down during the day.
- To disinfect equipment, machinery and packaging materials overnight, and to keep bacteria levels in the area low during the day.
- In growing birds, ozone in the pens as a gas reduces the number of bacteria that they are exposed to thus reducing the spread of infection and viruses thereby increasing their health and even weight by up to 18% and improving their skin colour.
- Hatching hens that are kept in ozonized conditions show an increase in the number of eggs they lay, and a stronger consistency of the eggshell, because of the corresponding decrease in pathogenic illness and prevention of a toxic build-up of disinfectant chemicals.
Reduce The Early Chick Mortality
Ozone gas and ozonated water are widely used in egg hatcheries, potable water in poultry houses, disinfection of the interior of poultry houses during period changes, production areas, chiller units and process water disinfection.
Thanks to ozone application in poultry farms, ozonation of drinking and potable water, harmful bacteria (E.coli), which are transmitted from potable water to chickens are destroyed. Chickens grown in poultry houses will become less sick. Since production is made using fewer vaccines and medicines, healthier and higher quality products are offered to consumers. It is extremely important for disinfection to use the water consumed in poultry slaughterhouses by ozone.
Another usage area of ozone gas in the poultry industry is the disinfection of incubators, nest boxes, production farms. E.coli, Pseudomonas fluorescens, etc. Disposal of microorganisms that increase harmful disease and death rates with ozone gas is an important and most effective solution.
Ozone application in production farms, healthier feeding of animals, thus less sickness is provided. In parallel with this, giving much less medication and making fewer vaccines plays a big role in the convenience of the manufacturer, financial advantage and the provision of a healthier, quality product.
Since ozone gas is a natural disinfectant that does not leave residues, it does not pose the risk of chemical residues caused by chemicals such as formaldehyde, methanol, peracetic acid, chlorine.
Ozone also plays an important role in extending the shelf life of eggs and reducing microbiological distress. When the eggs lose moisture due to their breathable shell, they shrink and need about 90% moisture in their stored areas. As is known, 90% of humidity causes bacteria to grow easily and mould. With high humidity, mould and bacteria growth can be eliminated for 8 – 9 months at 0 degrees. Storing the product in this way causes the egg to remain healthy, fresh and quality; Thus, a great financial advantage is provided to the producer.
Benefits of Using Ozone in Poultry;
– Prevents bacteria growth by breaking the gases in the chicken farm environment and improving the air quality.
– Chicks and chickens eat healthier
– Reduces the rate of the sickness of animals by improving environmental factors
– It provides less use of vaccines and drugs for production.
– It does not leave any residue on the product, it is environmentally friendly.
– Microbial load on the product is significantly reduced and the shelf life of the product is extended.
Ozone Air Treatment Applications in Poultry
- Ozone oxidizes ammoniacal gases, methane and carbon dioxide, creating a healthier environment for the birds and the staff working in the poultry
- Ozone is more effective than other air disinfecting systems such as chemical fogging and UV light.
- In growing birds, ozone in the pens as a gas reduces the number of bacteria and thus reducing the spread of infection and viruses thereby increasing their health and even weight by up to 18%. Ozone application helps to improve their skin colour.
- Ozone is more effective than formaldehyde in disinfecting Poultry sheds and requires no dormant period in which the sheds have to remain evacuated. Immediately after disinfecting by ozone at high concentrations, the shed is ventilated and can be inhabited by the birds and staff safely. Unlike formaldehyde, ozone is noncarcinogenic.
- Hatching hens that are kept under ozonized conditions show an increase in the number of eggs they lay, and a stronger consistency of the eggshell, because of the corresponding decrease in pathogenic illness and prevention of a toxic build-up of disinfectant chemicals. Ozone is used to disinfect incubation rooms and chambers, in the place of chemicals which cause a toxic build-up on the eggshell surfaces and weaken the the immune system of the birds.
Ozone Water Treatment Applications in Poultry
Healthy Water = Healthy Chickens
Drinking water for poultry is an important dietary requirement. Under normal conditions, birds will consume, approximately, double the quantity as food on a weight basis.
Poor water quality can retard growth, curtail egg production, or produce lower egg quality.
Feed conversion has been positively correlated to the presence of sulfate and copper concentrations in the water and ozone effectively oxidize them and can be easily removed by filtration.
1. Water Volume
Over the years, genetic advancement for increased weight gain, feed intake and feed conversion has led to the current commercial broiler which attains heavier weights in less time with greater yields. It is estimated that birds consume approximately 1.7 pounds (771.11 grams) of water for every pound of feed. Therefore the amount of water a bird consumes is critical to how much feed they intake. See this data in the graph below
2. Water Quality
When water looks clear and tastes okay we believe it to be good – right? Well this isn’t necessarily true, actually water quality is impossible to judge adequately except with laboratory testing. Field experience has conclusively shown that un-observable differences in water quality, from farm to farm and even from one well to another within a complex, can result in significant differences in bird performance.
3. Water Delivery
It is important for your delivery lines and related water infrastructure to function at peak performance. Often when water is contaminated with bacteria such as iron and manganese, a bio-film forms and those supply lines can slowly degrade and become a problem when peak demands are required. Providing a purified water before distribution lines is critical to any large poultry operation.
Benefits of ozone in drinking water
- It reduces waterborne pathogens and prevents the development of resistance to pathogens
- It helps to accelerate weight gain by the birds
- It improves feed conversion and increased layer output
- It helps to increase the dissolved oxygen in the water which helps the birds to tolerate heat
Ozone – Water treatment for washing poultry carcasses, equipment, and cold storage.
- Ozonated water is effective as a disinfectant for poultry carcasses without loss of colour and flavour.
- Ozonated water kills instantly more than 5 log units of Salmonella Typhimurium and Escherichia coli cells, as well as 4,5 log units of Candida albicans and Zygosaccraomyces bacilli.
- It has been proved that Staphylococcus colonise on de-feathering machinery have become endemic with poultry processing plants, and become resistant to normal cleaning and disinfecting, including chlorine. Ozone has the property of killing and destroying those bacteria effectively.
- Ozone during refrigerated storage of poultry has a pronounced effect on flora causing deteriorations and consequently prolongs the shelf life of poultry in cold storage
You can read academic and industry research showing the
benefits of clean water for your poultry operation by clicking the links below
Ozone Generator is a great solution for poultry disinfection applications. Safely disinfect poultry air, water and surfaces.
GZO Series is a completely self sufficient system. It takes water, disinfects it and sends it to the chicks as clean water.